Monday, July 29, 2002

Are all *good* men really either taken, or gay?

I had a pleasant surprise this afternoon as I was preparing to leave the office. My best friend called me up from the US. After the usual kamustahans, goss exchange (which was long, mind you), and hearing out each other's sentiments, she finally told me the *big* news.

After almost a year of looking for (literally!) her longtime college crush in the US (she heard he was living in the same state), she finally found him. They called each other up, updated each other, went out to dinner. [She stops here, while I go "EEEEEeeeeeeeeeee!!!!" in kakiligan.]

So they were having dinner. Arnold (yeah, that's the guy), says: "I have something to tell you."

Hazel intently replies, "O." [That's the hard "O" as we say it here when we try to act nonchalantly]. [She stops again as I go "EEEEEEEeeeeeeee!!!!"]

And Arnold goes, "I'm gay." [And then I go, "FFFuuuuuuccccccckkkkkk!!!"]

The story of his life: he had one (Atenean) boyfriend back then. No one knew he was gay (except his boyfriend). It was only when he came to the US that he came out of the closet.

So I ask Hazel how she feels. Torn, of course. God. She has once been crazy in love with this guy - back when she was in a serious relationship!

She laughs about it now, though (however bitterly). We shared a [bitter] thought before she hung up: are all *good* men really either taken or gay?


No comments: